Tuesday, March 31, 2009
How are the rest of you doing it? I am working everyday (including weekends) and in the evenings, I'm spending fewer hours on the computer (I owe so many of you comments that I apologize...again), and I still am not getting ahead. Am I just that slow at putting these little things together or what? Suggestions or recommendations are appreciated!
Hmmm, do you suppose I should quit using that 20/0 brush a little bit less?!!!? HA!
Have a great day and happy creating!
Monday, March 30, 2009
Have a great day and happy creating!!
Thursday, March 26, 2009
The grass and tree fire is still rearing it's ugly head I first posted about on Monday. They had to go back out to the scene Tuesday and yesterday due to patches flaring up again. No homes were lost, however there were out buildings and the Nebraska Youth Camp buildings that were destroyed. This is also crane season here in the Platte River Valley, so this probably means some of the cranes had to relocate for their evening roost as well...they overnight on the islands and sandbars in the river (predator protection) during their 4 to 6 week stay as they prepare for their trek to Canada.
Need to get back to painting so have a great day!
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
We escaped the tornado threat yesterday in our county, but people to the east of us were not so fortunate. We had sustained winds in the 30-40 mph range all day yesterday, with wind gusts over 60 mph. It created a terrible problem for our fire department when a grass fire started southeast of town, jumped the Platte River, crossed Interstate-80, which was closed for over 6 hours in a 9 mile stretch because of the smoke and for the safety of the 10 fire departments that came in trying to get it stopped. Kelly came home from work long enough to tell me what was going on and I next saw him after midnight. They had farmers come in with disks on their tractors ahead of the fire disking under combustible material and front-end loaders moving dirt for them ... it was the example of why I love living here...everyone offering services to help out. They had food brought in from various organizations, the Yamaha dearlership supplied 4-wheelers for the department with water on board, the Salvation Army provided their canteen for water, gatorade, and food for the fire fighters, the city helped line up the loaders and operators for the department's use (both the city manager and mayor went to station 1 to check on the department's needs), and one mutual aid department came from over 35 miles away to help with the fire. ((((((( Big hugs to everyone for their help.)))))))) We are in a wind advisory again today but our temperature is about 35 degrees cooler than yesterday so hopefully no fires today. Here is a video link: http://hubvideo.kearneyhub.com/?p=1493
Here is wishing you all good weather!!
Monday, March 23, 2009
Well, the weather radio just went off and we are in our first tornado watch for the year....and so it begins! Just a tad earlier than normal, but part of the yearly cycle.
Have a great day, and if you live in the Great Plains hang on to your hat today, they say it has the potential to be a bumpy ride!! (blizzards to tornadoes)
Friday, March 20, 2009
Seven of my favorite things:
1. My husband...he is a person, and not a thing per say, but he is one of my favorite things. He is so supportive of what I am doing and I adore him.
2. My cats...they entertain me every day. Elwood, Jake and Glycey are just the best...well most of the time...after all, they are cats.
3. Sunshine...I work faster and feel so much better when the sun is shining.
4. Sleeping in....I just think that if you are sleeping that your body must need it so waking up without an alarm clock is just the best thing!!
5. Creating...yes is it one of my favorite things and Halloween tends to be a favorite subject/holiday.
6. PBS...I'm a junky. Charlie Rose, Frontline, Scientific America, NOVA, Antiques Road Show, etc... I have yet to watch a "reality" based TV show and get hooked because of PBS.
7. Blogging...there is so much talent in blogland that I have spent hours just visiting new sites and viewing my favorites. Sometimes I spend too much time at it according to others in this house....hmmmmm!! HA
Okay 7 bloggers to pass this on to:
1. Chicken Lips--David is always doing something fun and exciting on his blog and his work is just the best...plus he raises chickens.
2. PJ's Talking--she makes me laugh and I love her work and use of color.
3. Pumpkinseed Originals--Janell has a blog award free zone, but she is one of my favorite bloggers and artists so I just had to give her a shout out!!
4. Bone-Head Studio--Flora is just one of the most talented women that amazes me monthly with her new creations.
5. Crescent Hill Designs--Lance keeps coming up with the best ideas and pieces. I always look forward to his updates.
6. The Holiday Queen--That Melissa has the best thing going on this month on her blog. She is pure genius at blogging and her work is pure eye candy!!
7. The Cart Before the Horse--Jo and Dylan's work is just inspiring!!! Most of you already know them, but if you haven't looked at their blog or their work you are in for a huge treat!
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Jake was the first to bring me a mask for use today....
and right behind Jake came Elwood with a second mask. I'm so glad I have such thoughtful animals!!! Back to the clay for me and the boys.
Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!
Thursday, March 12, 2009
I think he will be funny with eggs surrounding his little body and only his arms and feet showing in the bowl. Bunny with attitude!
I've gotten a chance to peek at some of the new pieces so go give this group of artists a look! Lots of little spooks and jingles!
Have a great day and happy creating!
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
This little guy is up for grabs on SpookyTime Jingles (Thursday night/Friday morning) March 13, at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Time!
Hope you are having a great week! Have a great day and happy creating!
Monday, March 9, 2009
Okay, enough of the pity party, on to the positive! Below is "Out Spider Walking", that you saw as a WIP a couple of weeks ago. I was charmed by this loving little Skelly figure and so I put extra details on his collar, which is a spider web of course with a big ole' grinning spider holding the collar closed, and a tiny spider button on the shirt. Even his little cap has a tiny web surrounding the top above the 31 inside of the "O" for October. He also has the striped leggings I love putting on my figures with boots.
I tend to be a happy person so I notice that most of my figures also wear grins. The photo below shows some of the hat and collar detail more closely. Oh a Skelly and his Spider, what could be more endearing to a Halloween lover?
Bear with me about my blogging, my posting and my responses. I am so behind, and need to be in the studio a ton more this next month so that I get my EHAG (Eclectic Halloween Artist Group) challenge piece done as well as my EHAG giveaway piece...yes, another small piece will be given away by me in April (are you feeling a little more generous in spirit to forgive me now?) as well as finishing 4 works to be sent to the Halloween Convention in Pennsylvania in April and my new STJ April pieces. If I go bald I figure I can always buy a wig!! HA!
Have a great day and happy creating all!!
Tuesday, March 3, 2009
Hope you enjoy him!!
Monday, March 2, 2009
You have to love those PFATT ladies for such a fun idea!!! Don't you just love a giveaway?!!
Okay, here is the next item. For those of you that have learned a little about me through this blog you know that I love all things Halloween. I read last fall about Halloween and Vine and Ghoultide Gatherings and how everything was so magical and wonderful at these two major Halloween art events. I sighed and thought, wouldn't it be just the best thing to be a part of one of those two terrific shows. So I put the names of the events on my image board to dream big, and last week I got an email from Scott Smith of Rucus Studio. Well dreaming big is a good thing and I have been invited to participate in the 2009, Halloween and Vine.
I am thrilled, giddy, humbled and a little overwhelmed by the whole thing. It is such an opportunity I can't even begin to explain or completely take in yet. I'm telling you this because I think my frequent postings may become fewer in number and I may not be showing as many works. I will need to be building an inventory for the California show and since I work so slowly the inventory building needs to begin today. I just want to take the very best that I can, so hang in there with me as I begin this exciting new journey. I will still be producing work for sale on SpookyTime Jingles and have committed to the EHAG challenges, so I promise to work as hard as I can to keep those little jingles and spooks coming to you.
Have a fantastic day and happy creating!!!