Wednesday, May 27, 2009

"Uncle Skelly"

You know, even a little Skelly has to have costumes to wear for various occasions and with Memorial Day just passing and the 4th of July approaching, he was feeling very patriotic. This little guy is definitely trying to look like Uncle Sam, but I have to tell you, that collar is screaming either Evil Knievel or Elvis to me!! The other thing I noticed was he got the red, white and blue all wrong and is wearing orange, cream and black. I guess you just can't take the Halloween out of a Skelly.

"Uncle Skelly" is wearing a top hat with orange and cream stripes with a black hat-band covered with a row of stars (there is a matching black band on the base of the figure with white stars). He has a large high collar with a star on both tips, a large orange bow tie, and orange cuffs with black cuff links studded with white stars. He also has his fingers interlocked so that they can hold onto an "inflated" metal star at the end of a curled black wire. (He doesn't want that pretty star to float away.)

He is tickled with his appearance and smiles broadly about being such a cleaver Halloween boy!! Silly Skelly!

Have a great day and happy creating!!
Laurie

16 comments:

Johanna Parker said...

Oh my goodness!!! What a clever and wonderful piece!!! Love that Laurie... can't wait to see your work and you in person this fall!

~ Johanna

snippetgirl said...

You are TOO clever and witty with your work...love it!! The placement of those hands is just amazing. They add even more personality to him. Genius!

Once Upon A Blue Crow said...

Such a handsome skelly-He's smokin!

PJHornbergerFolkArtist.com said...

Laurie, he is so much fun! You've out done yourself one more time. A very new twist on Uncle Sam.. or for Uncle Skelly... xo PJ

yoborobo said...

Oh my gosh, Laurie - I love him! And I think he definitely is channeling Elvis with that collar! :)

Monkey-Cats Studio said...

Thank you Johanna...he has a companion piece holding a little bottle-rocket, but I don't have him finished yet. If I can put bunny ears on a Skelly at Easter, why not patriotic skeleton figures? I think there is more to come.

Carrie--Hi girl!! He was lots of fun to sculpt and paint!!

Hello Kimmie, thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. It has been a few days so I need to come catch up with you on your blog!!!

Purty PJ, so good to hear from you...I thought you might "get" him!! I think he would fit in Texas with those big stars...don't you think?

Monkey-Cats Studio said...

Pam...I think you may be right! I know I just heard somthing coming from the other room that sounded like, " A hunk, a hunk of burning love." I know it was coming from the shelf he is sitting on-SPOOKY!!
(giggle)
Laurie

Jennifer MacNeill said...

What an imagination you have! I love him!

PEA said...

OMG Laurie,
I adore him and his color swap. What a clever boy he is. He is too cute and would fit right in anywhere.
I love your imagination. It always makes me giggle and smile.
Thanks sweetie for sharing your wonderful art with us.
Blessings,Pea

Lynn Stevens said...

you are such a clever clever girl,
amazing creations!

~Tonya said...

Awwww Laurie, he is too stinking sweet! I love Uncle Skelly. Your art just speaks volumn.

Have a great day and have fun creating.

Hugs,
~Tonya

Brandi McKenna said...

My favorite piece of yours yet! Oozes Nefarious charm.

Unknown said...

I love him...you are so creative Laurie!

always inspiring with wonderful art.

Smiles,
Sonia ;)

Amy H. said...

Laurie,

I am in awh....of him....He is great...Maybe if I click my hills 3 times he will arrive at my home...Haha...He is precious...
:)Amy

BRANDI MILNE said...

love your work!

Jorge de Rojas said...

Laurie,
great little guy and very patriotic of both Halloween and Uncle Sam. Very clever,
Jorge