Monday, November 10, 2008

Saturday's Show and STJ!!

Saturday was a home football game day in the Cornhusker State, so the community of Lincoln had it's regular population plus "35,000 of our closest friends" as my husband would say. It was nuts!!!! Many people drive in the night before the game and I had buyers from all over that had stayed with relatives that brought them to the show before the game. Below I am talking to an early customer (the show didn't open until 9:00, but there are always those few that get in to look early) in what looks like a sea of florals. Yes, I am a floral designer of sorts and it pays for my papier mache habit plus works nicely with our Christmas tree farm!


Positioned amongst the greenery are the papier mache figures. Hubby did a Powerpoint of my figures on a laptop and put it on a loop and you could not believe the number of people that stopped and watched the entire 60 image loop run through both finished and works-in-progress images. Many would look up and ask me, "you made these?"...so there is still that problem with people looking at quality handmade items and not being able to discern they aren't reproductions. Because the Powerpoint was such a hit I am investing in a digital picture frame now to do the same thing for future shows. I think it helped me sell some of my pieces on Saturday.


It was such a gooooooooddd show!! The first three hours were almost too much and if my dear sister, Theresa, hadn't stayed to help, and my husband hadn't continually brought in new items, I couldn't have managed it by myself. I was also thrilled that my sister from Missouri, Cynthia, stopped and picked up Mom to bring her to the show as well. My family is simply the best!!!! They are such great supporters and I just don't get to see them often enough to please me so this was a wonderful addition to the day....plus they are just fun to be around!


With the economic news not being the best these days I was thrilled with the end results and couldn't have asked for a better crowd. This show moved into the number 2 spot for my best sales ever at a one-day show, and the show 2 weeks ago fell to the number 3 spot, so I consider myself very fortunate for this recent success.

Here is hoping the rest of you have the same good fortune through the upcoming holiday season. I just keep my fingers crossed that we get out of this mess soon and that sales improve for everyone!!

Well, I need to finish my pages for SpookyTime Jingles today!!!! Remember that at 12:00 a.m. eastern time, in the first minutes of November 13, the pages update so if you are looking for unique one-of-a-kind handmade items for gifts this holiday season, this is the place to go!!!! In a few days I will show you what I got from one of the STJ artists and you will be green with envy!! HA!

I need to get to work!! Have a great day! Laurie

11 comments:

Mónica Zúñiga said...

Dear Laurie:

Congrats on the fabulous day! Your pieces are gorgeous so I know they will find great homes to live in, you are very talented and I´m sure you will be more and more successful!
Have a great week! :)

Monica.

~dani~ said...

What a great post. Exciting and inspiring on so many levels. So glad you had a great day and so glad you shared it with us.
xoxo's my multi-talented friend ;)

Unknown said...

Oh...your booth looks so magical. Kudos on the sales and being able to spend it with family. Your truly blessed! I had a show myself and had family come too, it helps as well as encourages in this scary economic time. People are still buying art though...so keep those fingers crossed. Have a good week...hopefully your not working too hard ;) hugs, jackie I

Monkey-Cats Studio said...

Monica-
Thank you so much for your kind words...love your new piece by the way!!!
Laurie

Dani-
You are the best little lady!! It was a really fun day and selling on top of that made the day even better!!HA!

Jackie-
I've got a little something started and will hopefully get it all done in clay tomorrow. Glad your show went well too!! I had a collector tell me that there would always be the serious collectors through all of this so I choose to believe she is right!!!

Thank you all for stopping by!!
Laurie

Janell Berryman Pumpkinseeds folk art said...

Very nice Laurie! Great photo's showing off your great pieces!!!!

Chicken Lips said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL display! The greenery really helps set the mood. But honestly Laurie, you could set your work up on old cardboard boxes and they would look amazaing!

So glad your sales went well. My show last month was one of the best I had ever worked! The economy doesn't seem to be stopping the art collectors.

The Powerpoint idea is a great selling point - I do the same thing at my shows. People watch the entire process and then when they see a slide of me working, they always look up at me and back to the screen and say..."YOU make all these?" LOL!!!

Sam I Am said...

Oh WOW Laurie!!!!! Your displays are SOOOOO GREAT!!! What an eye you have girl!!!!!
The powerpoint thinggee..great idea!!!
hugs..
sam

Altered Route said...

Go Big Red and You GO Laurie Harding!!! I saw your interview on NTV and is was great to hear you Live. Your booth is wonderful and the florals are a great compliment to your Mache works...wish I could have been there!
Fellow Husker...Connie

Flora said...

You have the magical touch Laurie!!!! How truly wonderful for you!
blessings,Flora

vintagepaletteart said...

Wow woman........................what CAN'T you do????????? Wish I could have come to see you and that gorgeous display too! Want to visit Ohio???? =D

I love your show set up too!! Great idae! I need to get one of those digital picture frames for christmas!!!

Hugs, *Lori

Kim Hardt Originals said...

I am so glad you had such a successful show. I couldn't imagine any different though. You work is just wonderful Laurie! You are a master my friend!! I would of loved to of been there and seen everything in person. Glad your sister was able to come and help out.

Kim