Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Ghoutide Gathering, Family, Mission Penisula and Thank You

I realize that facebook and many artists' blogs have already been filled with numerous Ghoultide Gathering images, but here are a few more.  I had planned on posting the images of my display last week, but we had a death in the family, and well, that put a halt on my plans.  I lost my last Uncle a week ago today, and this is just after losing my Mother's last sibling only a few months prior.  I've been reflecting on our family with the knowledge we are losing the generation that influenced my life and therefore my art so intimately.   It is with a bit of sadness I write of this, but I have such great memories of my childhood and the people that helped make me who I am today, that a deep feeling of thankfulness is overwhelming me.  I know they are still watching over all of us and that gives me great comfort. 

 This is a section of my table at Ghoultide Gathering

 To make room for pumpkin boxes and small figures I put up an extra shelf this year.

 Following Ghoultide we took a trip north to Petoskey and Traverse City, Michigan.
The color was wonderful and the air was crisp and filled with the smells of apples and grapes.

 This barn is on the Mission Peninsula and I have loved seeing it the last two years as we pass coming and going from where we were staying.  It has such character and then you notice the modern roof that more than likely is why the barn is still standing.   I just keep saying, "wouldn't it make a great studio," to my husband and he just rolls his eyes.

 We have stayed at a vineyard, Chateau Grand Traverse, the last two years and I think this photograph shows you why we are so drawn to the area.  The color this year was fantastic, our hosts wonderful and we actually were present for part of the grape harvest while we were visiting this year.  The smells....I wish I could describe them, were just wonderful.  We would walk outside, inhale and just smile at one another.  That body of water in the background is Lake Michigan.
 
 It rained most of the time we were there, but we really weren't bothered by it.  It was annoying the owner of the vineyard, however, because it was delaying harvest and the birds were taking advantage of every day the grapes were left on the vine.  We heard them firing off charges several days to get the birds out of the vineyards only to watch them return the next day. 

 All good things must come to an end and this is one of our final sunsets at Grand Traverse.  It was the perfect way to unwind after a very successful show.  A huge thank you to all of you that made Ghoultide Gathering and follow up sales so wonderful for us this year.  It keeps the dream alive and well!

Have a great week!!
Laurie

6 comments:

Feddy said...

Thank you for showing these wonderful pictures, I can imagine the lovely smell around those beautiful landscapes :-)
And thank you for your creations, all the characters taking life from your hands make me dream :-)
I'm sorry for your uncle. But I believe and I KNOW people we loved, who died, are still looking at us, protecting us, from wherever they are. And as long as we keep them alive in our heart and in what they made us, they'll never die.
I'm sure he's proud of you :-)
Big hug!

Leanne E said...

Thank you for all your lovely artwork :)

yoborobo said...

Hi Laurie! I'm so sorry to hear about your Uncle. Sending lots of hugs! xox

Monkey-Cats Studio said...

Thank you Uapa. Uncle Cecil gave me my first cup of coffee, which I'm sure was really more milk and sugar than coffee, but the fact he gave me an adult cup and saucer and sat down with me after a holiday meal is a memory that still lingers with me today.

Monkey-Cats Studio said...

Oh Leanne, thank you!

Monkey-Cats Studio said...

Thank you for the hugs Pam. I don't know if it was just because I was still pooped from the weeks prior to the show or what, but the realization I was the next generation of adults in the family just made me feel sad. I think I need to be shaken every now in then to be reminded I am getting older because I really don't feel it. I'm hoping that is a good thing!