Thursday, September 18, 2008

"Skelly Bony Body"

I had a Skelly head I sculpted last month with a big smile, and decided he was such a nice guy he needed a body, so I painted the remainder of his skeleton form on the base his head is mounted on. The proportions are all wrong with his over sized head and hat, but that is part of the charm of this little character. Skelly is 10.5 " tall to the top of his tipped hat, with 6.5" of that being the collar, head and hat, which only leaves 4" for the base he is mounted on so his painted torso is just a little over 3" high. I'm not sure in the "real" world those tiny little bones would be capable of supporting that super-sized head, but I remind myself that Halloween isn't suppose to be the "real" world...or is it Halloween is the REAL world and what we live in isn't? Hmmmmmmm


This Skelly has a top hat with OCT. 31 in the linen colored oval to remind him not to forget that Halloween is only 42 days away. "Skelly Bony Body" can be a bonehead (that was really bad, wasn't it), so writing things down and putting them somewhere close is critical for him not to miss important dates ... oh, and Oct 31 is his birthday too. You have to remember, he is a skeleton...he has no soft tissue, therefore no brain to help him remember things. Poor, poor Skelly!!


"Skelly Bony Body's" base shows his torso along with a graveyard fence, bat and tree. Skelly is giving you a little wave so wave back!!! He may not have a brain, but he is a heck of a nice guy!


This Skelly is made of fastmache, wood, raffia, painted with acrylic paints and sealed with a matte varnish. He has a lovely full set of teeth.


Skelly may be taking a journey so he is waving good-bye!!!
Happy creating!!
Laurie

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Laurie, you have the dearest stories to go with your pieces. BTW, he's wonderful... skinny, but truly wonderful!

Lori

Christopher A. Klingler said...

Great new piece Laurie! Love the little painted skellie body box underneath.

Have a great weekend.

Chris :)

Jessi Nagy said...

cute,
you are so very talented.
oxoxox,
jessi

Monkey-Cats Studio said...

Thank you Lori, Chris and Jessi!!! I didn't want just a landscape under this little head and decided to do the body two nights ago. When I sketched the body on it felt right so I got my 30/0 brush out and painted those little "chicken" bones. I think he is silly and I like that!!!
Laurie

Kristen Beason said...

Hi Laurie,
I love this piece! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!!

Kristen

Monkey-Cats Studio said...

Thank you Kristen...by the way, love that cat on your blog!!
Have a great weekend everyone! I'm painting the black ornament right now and the paint is dry so time to get the next coat on!

Marie Patterson Studio said...

I absolutely love him just the way he is!!! Bye-bye Skelly!!!

Monkey-Cats Studio said...

Oh Marie, you are always so generous with your comments!! I haven't been over to visit you today so I better get at that!!
Laurie

Jennifer MacNeill said...

The new Skelly looks wonderful! I love how you painted his body.

Janice Lois said...

Wow..! The new Skelly looks so cute. I want to get it for Halloween decoration.

PJHornbergerFolkArtist.com said...

I'm not familar with the Fastmache, you do wonders with it. Love your work. He is great, so spooky! Happy Halloween! PJ