Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Tagged a Few Days Ago

Okay, I was tagged a few days ago by Ginny and I am suppose to tell you 6 things about myself you may not know about me. Hard to believe since I ramble like I do that there are things you don't know, but here goes!!

1) I am a PBS Junky. From Masterpiece Theatre, Charlie Rose, American Experience, NOVA, Antiques Roadshow (both the BBC and American versions), History Detectives, Tavis Smiley, Newshour with Jim Lehrer, Independent Lens, Frontline, P.O.V., American Masters to the Victory Garden. Love Ken Burns' work and other special programming as well.

2) I never owned a bicycle until I was in high school. The girls in the family shared a bike and when I was 10 I asked for a unicycle for Christmas and that was my "wheel"...only one wheel so can't say "wheels". I would ride it everywhere...the only drawback was you can't coast on them so it was constant peddling. When I got older the stares took me off of it, that and the liability issue when people would try to ride it--too many accidents!! Oh, and for those of you that don't like clowns...my mother "surprised" me with a clown costume to ride in the county parade the summer after I got the unicycle because the Sheriff had tracked me down and called her. She made the costume and unveiled it to me the day before the parade. That's all I have to say about that.

3) I get hot flashes every day...just checking to see if anyone really reads these.

4) I am a better baker than I am a cook and I make wicked pies. My favorite...hmmmm, probably coconut cream or hubby's favorite, rhubarb. Now don't make a face, you haven't eaten rhubarb pie until you have eaten mine, my mother's or my sister's. I like pie; Mom made it almost every Sunday and it was always a scratch pie and we always hoped for extra crust when the pies were made so she would make crispies (sugar and cinnamon on pie dough, rolled up and baked.) We had both a peach and apple tree in the yard and we raised rhubarb so we always had some type of fruit for Mom to use to bake pies with. I do not eat pies in restaurants or from a grocery freezer as a rule--Pie Snob!!

5) I never wanted cake for my birthday celebrations...I always requested apple dumplings because the Winesap and Jonathan apples always were available around my birthday, and Mom would make a big pan for the entire family. They are a lot like apple pie but more caramelized because they are baked with milk in a 9 x 13 pan and have more sugar and cinnamon. YUM!!!!!! Didn't have any yet this year because I haven't found Jonathan's in the store yet. Number 4 and number 5 seem to be running on a similar theme!!

6) I use to be a huge clothes-horse and would not leave the house without my hair and make-up done...not so true the past two years. Working at home I have actually still been in my pajamas at noon and showered at mid-day. The onset of this behavior was gradual, but I would get up and start on something and all of a sudden it was lunch time. Time really rolls by fast for me when I am working with my hands either in clay or paint, and the sculptures don't seem to mind how I look.

Okay, there you go!!!!

Need to really hit things hard again tomorrow. Deadlines are approaching!! HA!
Happy Creating!

Maybe a quick WIP tomorrow...I'll try!!

Laurie

1 comment:

Ginny Diezel said...

Such fun to read, Laurie! We really do have so much in common. Must have been a much simpler life when we grew up! I am older than you - got over the flashes about 12 years ago, and am lovin' it! Thanks for a terrific read this morning!